A rich review in The Hindu of Samay Ki Kasak , the recent Hindi translation of poet, translator, editor and painter Sukrita Paul Kumar's (IWP '02) most recent poetry collection.
A trailer for One Tree Three Lives (Hong Kong, 2012)
- Directed by the Hong Kong director Angie Chen, the feature-length documentary about the life of Hualing Nieh Engle premiered in March 2012, at the 36th Hong Kong International Film Festival.
- A Q&A with Angie Chen about the making of the film at the Hong Kong Foreign Correspondents' Club (June 2013).
Paul and Hualing Nieh Engle: Shared work
- Among the Engles' accomplishments was "The Chinese Weekend,"[PDF] organized in September 1979 at the University of Iowa, the first formal meeting between Chinese writers from Taiwan and from the Mainland since 1949.
- "Co-translation: the Writer's View": An extended dialogue on the process of joint translation, illustrated with examples from "Joy of Meeting" (Li Yü, 937-978) and "West Ch'ang-an Street" (Pien Chih-lin, 1932)
IWP as Recollected by its Alumni
- Over the years the many IWP alumni have reminisced over their time in Iowa City with the Engles
- Excerpts from Sunil Gangyopadhyay (IWP, '81) Memories of Light and Shade
The WW and the IWP in Paul Engle's correspondence
- Paul Engle was a notorious correspondent, and much of his personal creative history is reflected in the thousands of letters he dispatched over the decades. Many can be found in the Engle Collection in the University of Iowa Libraries Special Collections and finding aid.
Two recent essays about Paul Engle [PDFs]
- "Remembering Paul Engle" [PDF] by Mike Chasar. Reprinted courtesy The Writer's Chronicle
- "Middle Man: Paul Engle and the Iowa Writer's Workshop" [PDF] by Loren Glass in The Minnesota Review, 2009
A play: Leaner than Light: 12 Frames of Paul Engle (2011)
- Playwright Lisa Schlesinger has dramatized Paul and Hualing Engles' life and work in 12 scenes.