Congratulations on fall 2020 awards and nominations: Pola OLOIXARAC, one of the two winners of the prestigious 2021 Eccles Centre & Hay Festival Writer’s Award for her forthcoming Atlas Literario del Amazonas; Courtney Sina Meredith, co-short-listed on the NZSA Heritage Literary Awards list, and Wipas SRITHONG, one among the six finalists for the ASEAN-centric Epigram Books Fiction Prize.
The INTERNATIONAL WRITING PROGRAM (IWP) does not have grants for its residents. We may refer eligible candidates to contacts at U.S. Embassy or Consular offices abroad, or to one of the cultural agencies with whom we hold exchange agreements (including U.S.-based foundations and the arts councils of other countries).
Who is a qualified writer?
- The candidate should be primarily a writer of fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, drama, or screenplays. Literary translators, journalists, and biographers have also participated, but those candidates must also display a comparable track record in one of the creative genres (listed earlier).
- The candidate should have at least one published book or volume, or a sizable number of works in significant publications (anthologies, journals, literary magazines) over the last two years.
- The candidate should also display forms of national or local recognition for their literary work.
- The candidate must have a facility in speaking English sufficient to benefit from an 11-week writing residency where intensive discussion of literary and cultural issues forms a vital part of the experience.
- The candidate must also be comfortable with cross-cultural dynamics and interested in close interaction with artists from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- The candidate should not be a resident of, nor currently residing in, the United States.
- The candidate must provide:
- 10 to 15 pages of work in both the original language and as translated into English that gives a good sense of the writer’s strengths and style.
- A literature-based CV or resume.
To nominate a writer, please be sure to have the 1) 10-15 page writing sample (in a .doc or .docx file) and 2) CV ready to upload. Fill out an online nomination form here.
For further information please visit our contact page here.